UPDATED ALERT: See commentary below as a tie-in to DEBKA’s latest….
‘Assad fires Scuds to stop Al Qaeda arm seizing chemical arms at Al Safira’
DEBKAfile Exclusive Report December 13, 2012, 10:50 AM (GMT+02:00)
“By the blacklisting Tuesday, Dec. 11, of the Jabhat al-Nusra group fighting in Syrian rebel ranks as “a foreign terrorist organization” and affiliate of al Qaeda in Iraq, Washington faces four quandaries:
1. The 10,000 fighters of this al Qaeda affiliate are the best-trained and most professional component of the Syrian rebel front;.
2. Jabhat al-Nusra fields 3,000 fighters out of the mostly Free Syrian Army’s 14,000 rebels fighting in and around Aleppo. They also constitute the assault force’s spearhead.
3. The Islamists are at the sharp front edge of the rebel force battling for control of the Syrian army’s biggest chemical weapons store at Al Safira, near Aleppo. Thursday morning, Dec. 12, they were just a kilometer from the base’s northwestern perimeter fence and advancing fast. By week’s end, Jabhat al-Nusra jihadis may have smashed into the base and seized control of the chemical stocks and Scud D planes standing there armed with chemical warheads.
The imminence of this peril forced Bashar Assad’s hand into sending Scud jets against rebel-held areas in an effort to stop their advance on the base.
4. This al Qaeda affiliate is also better armed and equipped than any other Syrian rebel force, thanks to the generous financial and logistical aid laid on by Persian Gulf sources, especially in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait.
The difficulty here is that those three Gulf Arab stats are also American allies in the war against Assad and the most important contributors to the US-sponsored Friends of Syria, a forum which met in Marrakesh Wednesday and formally recognized the umbrella Syrian opposition coalition of exiled groups as the legitimate government of Syria.
Reporters inside Syria reported that when the Jabhat al-Nusra fighters heard this news, they declared 700 of their number had died… laughing.
But as the vicious civil war of nearly two years and more than 40,000 dead approached another dangerous peak, no one was laughing in Damascus or Washington.
DEBKAfile’s military sources point to the next crisis looming ahead: If Assad fails to stop the al Qaeda fighters from reaching Al-Safira and its poison gas stores – and an al Qaeda affiliate succeeds for the first time in arming itself with chemical weapons – the United States will have to mount an air assault – not on Assad’s army but on the Syrian rebel forces fighting him, because if they do manage to seize control of the base, rebel fighters may decide to send the chemicals-tipped missiles against Assad regime centers in Damascus.
The fall of al Safira would then transform the Syrian civil conflict into a chemical missile war.”
EVERY marker laid down, since the Pyromaniac-in-Chief took office, has been leading to this point – the realignment of regional forces. The fruits of his (mis)labors are chiefly to embed the Muslim Brotherhood Mafia as the central power broker of Mid East polities.
And once again, western interests have been sacrificed by the most anti-American POTUS in U.S. history. To be sure, the Iranians will eventually converge with the Sunni Brotherhood when all their latest scores are settled, as long as they keep their terror eyes on their main prizes – Israel and U.S. interests.
Be that as it may, Benghazigate was the last stop before said eruption and now there is no going back- adinakutnicki.com/2012/12/07/world-war-3s-place-markers-set-up-through-barack-hussein-obamas-mid-east-fires-addendum-to-northeast-intelligence-network-posits-a-direct-nexus-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/.
Therefore, the latest via DEBKAfile is not a surprise but still decidedly a western catastrophe. Barack HUSSEIN Obama is heating up the region to the point that Syria’s chemical weapons are about to become operational, at the same time that he is allowing the Iranian Hitler (for over 4 years) to become a nuclear power! What kind of a leader acts so recklessly? An Islamist one.
‘Paris: NATO-Arab Syria intervention imminent’
DEBKAfile Special Report December 7, 2012, 3:09 PM
Sources close to the French Defense Ministry reported Friday, Dec. 7, that a Western-Arab military intervention against the Assad regime is due to begin shortly with the participation of the US, France, Britain, Turkey, Jordan and other anti-Assad Arab nations. DEBKAfile: The reference is to Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar’s special forces.
Our military sources add that the French aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle carrying a complement of marines is deployed in the Mediterranean, having joined the USS Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group and at least five British warships which are also carrying a large marine force.
In the second and third weeks of November, British and French naval forces, plus 2,600 special ops combatants from both nations, performed landing-and-capture exercises against fortified locations on the coast and mountains of Albania as practice for potential operations against similar terrain in Syria, where the Alawite Mountains loom over the coastal towns of Latakia and Tartus.
The troops landing there would head for the Alawite Mts. to prevent Assad and his loyal units from retreating to his mountain stronghold and fighting on from there – as he plans to do if he is forced to flee Damascus.
French sources told Le Point magazine that the NATO mission for Syria, including the UK and the US, would be modeled on the Western intervention in Libya in 2011. It would combine an aerial blitz with ground action by special forces for destroying Assad’s chemical weapons stocks, his air force and his air defense systems.”
See earlier DEBKAfile reports on the Syrian chemical warfare threat.
How many ways can one say hell fire?
FURTHER UPDATE: Dec. 8, 2012
‘Assad’s troops, more chemical arms move NW, Iranian arms airlift to Palmyra’
“US, Turkish, British, Jordanian and French forces are standing ready around Syrian bordersfor the order to go forward still to come from US President Barack Obama. Syrian President Bashar Assad is regrouping his army in defense array in strategic parts of Damascus, while planting mines and bomb traps in abandoned bases. Convoys carrying missiles, shells and canisters armed with chemical and biological weapons continue to ply roads to the north, while the airlift of Iranian arms is rerouted to northern air bases.
The situation in Syria as it stands Saturday, Dec. 8. is summed up by DEBKAfile’s military sources:
1. Assad has so far resisted rebel pressure to withdraw with his army from the capital, Damascus, but as in Syria’s largest town, Aleppo, he has regrouped his forces for the defense of centers of government against the rebel push from the east.
For now, his army fully controls the western districts of Damascus and areas up to Zabadani on the Lebanese border. This keeps the Syrian ruler’s direct military corridor open to a key prop of his regime, Hizballah, on the other side of the border.
2. His second key prop is the air passage plied by Iranian transports for keeping his army furnished with arms and ammunition. Up until midweek, the Iranian planes, coming in at the rate of three or four transports a day, were landing at Damascus military air base, which is section of its international airport. Friday, Nov. 7, the rebels declared both the civilian and military sections of Damascus airport a military target. All planes were warned that by landing there they risked being shot down by the shells or anti-air missiles recently delivered to them by Qatar or booty taken from the Syrian army bases they captured.
Following the rebel warning, the Iranian transports were being rerouted to the Shayrat and Tiyas airbase between the northern Syrian towns of Homs and Palmyra.
This necessitates intense Syrian army effort to keep the roads open for the incoming Iranian supplies to reach the hands of the units fighting in Damascus, Aleppo and Latakia.
3. Syrian engineering units are systematically planting mines and booby-trapping the buildings at the bases from which the army has retreated. Our military sources were told that the quantity of explosives Assad’s troops are leaving in their wake would take years to clear.
4. There has been no letup in the military convoys heading north with missiles, shells and bombs containing chemical arms.
Western intelligence sources say Assad is keeping the convoys moving on the roads for two purposes:
One, as a red warning to the Western and Arab powers preparing to intervene in the Syrian conflict that any attack or attempt to impose a no-fly zone over the country would trigger a chemical offensive.
And two, to confuse his enemies: The poison gas weapons apparently moving openly along Syrian highways may be decoys to conceal the operational chemical warfare units which some Western intelligence watchers suspect are kept hidden until Assad gives them the order to strike.”
‘Assad’s last warning to rebels before using chemical weapons. West, Israel on high preparedness’
Hell hath no fury, compared to an Islamist POTUS marching in sync with his Brotherhood Mafia!